the shore excursion pick-up in Naples will reach you at the set place, to start with our magnificent excursion:
as the first stop, an hour's walk from Naples, we will arrive at the Royal Palace of Caserta, it is a historic residence that belonged to the royal house of the Bourbons of Naples, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, was commissioned by the King of Naples Charles of Bourbon, who, struck by the beauty of the Casertano landscape and eager to give a dignified seat of representation to the government of the capital Naples and its realm, wanted a palace to be built such as to stand up to the comparison with that of Versailles. It was initially assumed that it would be built in Naples, but Charles of Bourbon, aware of the considerable vulnerability of the capital to possible attacks (especially from the sea), thought of building it towards the hinterland, in the Caserta area: a safer and however not too far from Naples.
after the visit to the Royal Palace of Caserta, before reaching the medieval village of "Caserta Vecchia" we will stop to taste the famous buffalo mozzarella
The white gold of Caserta: this is the story of mozzarella
Famous all over the world for its unique flavor, given by the exclusive use of whole Mediterranean buffalo milk, mozzarella is the symbol of the province and the most appreciated souvenir for those who live outside and want to taste the flavor of our land.
Arrived in Casertavecchia (fraction of Caserta) it is a medieval village that rises on the slopes of the Tifatini mountains at 401 meters above sea level and 10 km away from Caserta (in north-east direction), although the distance as the crow flies is only 4 km. In medieval times it constituted the center of Caserta; since 1960 it is among the Italian national monuments.
The origins of Casertavecchia are still uncertain, but according to some information extrapolated from a writing by the Benedictine monk Erchemperto, Historia Langobardorum Beneventanorum as early as 861 AD. there was an urban nucleus called Casa Hirta (from the Latin: "village placed at the top").
The village has undergone various dominations throughout history.
It was originally a Lombard domain: Landolfo di Capua took possession of the city after the death of his father, Count Landone; but his uncle, Pandone the Raptor manages to grab him, after 863 Casertavecchia was occupied by the Rapace's son, Landolfo. But only in 879 with the other son of the Rapace, Pandolfo, the series of the counts of Caserta begins.
Following the Saracen raids and the devastation of the cities of the plain, the inhabitants and the clergy of the surrounding areas, in particular those of the disappeared city of Calatia, found a safe refuge in Casertavecchia, protected by the mountains.
In 1062 the Norman domination began which brought the village to the maximum level of splendor with the construction of the current cathedral, consecrated to the cult of San Michele Arcangelo. With alternate vicissitudes, the village passed under the Swabian domination with Riccardo di Lauro (1232-1266), who increased the importance of the village also from a political point of view.
In 1442 the village passed under Aragonese domination, thus beginning its long and progressive decline: in Casertavecchia only the bishop and the seminary remained.
With the advent of the Bourbons and the construction of the Royal Palace, Caserta became the new center of all activities at the expense of Casertavecchia, to which, in 1842, the bishopric was removed, also transferred to Caserta.
In 1960 the Casertavecchia settlement was included in the list of Italian national monuments . Since then the village has experienced a progressive return of interest, mainly linked to tourism.
fuel / parking / highway / english driver
lunch / licensed guide / entrance tickets
To get a full refund, cancel your reservation at least 24 hours before the start of the activity.